Dear church family,
In Romans 12:12, the Apostle Paul writes, “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer“. What a help this is – he’s saying: ‘Keep going! Keep going with talking to God, keep going with trusting him, keep going with depending on him, keep going in asking him for help as he carries out his purposes.’ What an encouragement to persevere and not give up!
With this in mind, I invite you to join our monthly online prayer gathering this Monday 10th August at 7.45pm for 8pm. Coming together in this way helps us keep going in praying for the needs of the world, country and church – all as we look to Jesus! (Zoom details at the bottom of the email).
The app PrayerMate is another great tool to prompt us to pray for specific things during the week. I heartily recommend it! Find it here https://www.prayermate.net. Brilliantly, you can subscribe to regular St John’s prayers here: http://praynow4.org/st-johns-blackheath.
And now three particular things you could pray this week in the life of St John’s….
First, Pray for God’s guidance for beginning in-person Sunday services. May they help us to worship God and lovingly encourage each other (whether meeting physically or virtually). Our 6pm service will continue to meet in the church building this Sunday. To everyone who came back last Sunday 6pm, thank you for being there and following the guidance so we could enjoy worshipping and being together. It was a joy! Here’s a reminder of the guidance:
- If you feel unwell, please do not attend
- If you are worried about attending, please feel under no obligation to attend
- Please bring your own face-mask, to be worn throughout the service
- There will be no pew Bibles, so please bring your own or use your phone (church wifi details: Name St John’s Guest Password Welcome0511 )
- There will be no refreshments, but you are welcome to bring your own water bottle and take it away with you
- On arrival you will be greeted by the welcome stewards and asked to use the hand sanitiser
- You will then be asked to register attendance for “track and trace” either manually or by using the QR code
- Then you will be directed to your seat va the one-way system
- Once seated, please limit any movement around the building
- Toilet facilities are available
- Sadly, we are not yet permitted to sing during the service but there will be live music for prayer and reflection
You can continue to join our 10am or 6pm service online via the church website.
Secondly, Ask the Lord to use Holiday Club for children (10-12 Aug) and Holiday at Home for seniors (13, 20, 27 Aug), to bring people fun, friendship, and faith in Jesus Christ. We’re excited these are starting next week!
Thirdly, Pray that we would love our neighbours by sharing and showing the gospel. Among other ways, do consider the things mentioned in our earlier email this week, including praying for three friends/family to come to know the Lord (‘Pray for 3′); for items for Foodbank, pray for wise planning for Greenwich Winter Night Shelter; and there’s the Word 121 resource for reading the Bible with someone. Do please note a date change for the next Word 121 training https://www.theword121.com: due to circumstances beyond our control, it’s changed to Tuesday 29th September, 7.45pm for 8pm.
God’s grace and peace in the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all,
Don’t forget to join us straight after church for our weekly virtual
refreshments. We’d love to see you, catch up & chat.
Meeting ID: 875 8169 6484
Monday 10th August 7:45 for 8pm
Meeting ID: 864 6668 9719